
On July 5, 2008, I decided to invite my dad to go on a little run after we went to see Hanncock in the real theaters and got stuffed at Cafe Rio. I knew that he is not any different than any of us Weston boys, in that we get boared if aske to sit in one place to long (ie Grandma Ruth's house).
I wanted to spend more time with him on their trip to Utah and Amy had some hardcore homework to do so I thought it would be fun to go running with him. He was more than obliged to go and so I picked him up at Ruth's house a couple of hours later, short short and all. We went to a local park that was right on the Provo bike trail which leads up to a water fall. So I was thinking that here I was at 22 in my "prime". I am in good physical health and I was witness to when my dad broke his lower half just over a year ago so I was thinking that I would take it easy and enjoy a jog with him. The first 3 miles was fun and we talked business on the way up, he took about 0.5 miles to warm-up and then we just cruised on up the canyon. On the way back I logically thought that the last 3 miles would be slower than the first 3 miles. Boy was I wrong, my dad kicked my trash on the way back. No, seriously, he was hauling bum and I was seriously doing all I could just to stay close by. Basically the point of all that is to tell everyone who is wondering how his legs are doing, that he is in amazing shape and he kicked his son's trash. The slogan that never caught on was Weston family Runners, well I am here to tell you that it should have always just been singular and not plural: Weston Family RUNNER.
4 comments:
Truman- well written little story, love it! too funny. dad kicked your trash trooper! thanks for the post! its so good to know dad is able to keep running.
Seriously Tru, the run with your dad was one of the great moments of the Utah trip! We really enjoyed reading the post about it. Hey, is that a picture of your dad running? It sure looks like him, but he says it probably isnt, cuz he never saw you taking a picture. Anyway, great updates on your blog!
big hugs,
mom
Remember the sweet shirts with the guy running on a checker board pattern on the back? Man, it scares me how much you are like Dad some times!
Remember, DBG
It starts off slow as the scar tissue begins to warm up and circulation revives his muscles, but after a while a remarkable transformation occurs. The lack of any regrown nervous system within dads legs has resulted in an animal-like ability to tolerate pain and pound on as his ankles meet his calf at like a 45 degree angles. I gave up long ago ever thinking I would be able to keep up with dad on flat ground, the key is zig zagging in the ruts and rivets on the bel-air trail, then you can stay close.
Ben
Post a Comment