Salt Lake City
I drove all my licensing paper work up to Salt Lake City yesterday! You can mail it, but then I would have to give them all my originals. If you bring it to the office they can just make a copy of your originals there, and then sign that they saw them. It was so exciting to hand them over my paper work, my certificates, and my application --a little less exciting to hand over the check. But I guess I should be used to dishing out money at this point to pay for school, supplies, and tests. Perhaps I'm getting a little numb to it now, anyone else want some money?? Put it on my tab. haha.
As I mentioned, this was in Salt Lake, and let me tell you, I hate driving in unfamiliar places. Home, school, grocery store, gas station --yep, that about covers familiar and comfortable. In fact, we just moved and I don't even know how to get to our own church building yet! Truman drives, Amy doesn't pay attention --very typical day. Story of my life.
When I moved out to Utah and had only been here for about 3 days, I was up in Salt Lake with my Mom and brother. After the festivities, I had to drive back to Provo by myself and got majorly lost trying to find the freeway entrance --construction blocking off roads, one ways, dying phone, lots of tears, and my brother having to come find me-- He then drove me to the freeway entrance, thank you Marshall. Embarassing...yes, so as you can imagine Salt Lake & I still aren't on the best terms. I haven't quite healed from the incident yet. haha. Mapquest wasn't much help either, it would say things like go west on E 300 S... First of all there is no street named "E 300 S" which is it E or S? And which way is west again?? haha. I eventually gave up on that and called the Department of Occupational & Professional licensing place, and had someone give me directions. Then of course, I had her give me home directions as well because, let me tell you, you cannot go back the same way you came! So...driving up to Salt Lake City, all the way down town, 600 South exit, was a big feat for me. Suprisingly, I did not get lost on the way there, I found the building, and got back on the freeway to home without a single mistake --Impressive? I would say so.
Truman & I love love love our new place, everywhere has plenty of storage...except the bathroom. Suprisingly, our former place had a lot more storage in the bathroom. In our new place, there is a small awkwardly shaped space to the right of the vanity, and we were looking for some kind of shelving unit. We checked various places and finally decided it was time for IKEA. We found something that looked like it would just barely fit and the perfect color. They were out of stock though, and it was on backorder.
I've asked Truman a couple times if he wants to go to IKEA with me and pick it up. He gets this look on his face like I'm asking him if he would mind if I punched him in the face. Apparently, since our recent visit, he now HATES IKEA. haha. I can definitely understand his frustration though. It is like a maze in there! You're thinking, I'm just going to go to the bathroom accessories section, no problem. Then you can't even get to it without winding and ducking through the bedroom furniture area, kids furniture area, kitchen and dining area, etc. And by then you just want everything and they've caught you in their evil IKEA web!
But...I suppose that's the whole point of it.
So, on my way back from Salt Lake, I could see IKEA and knew the chances of Truman coming with me again weren't great, haha, and I get off the exit. Of course, I can't just be there for 15 minutes to pick up the shelf; I end up being there for like an hour! How? I don't know, it's the web, I'm telling you! And then of course the alluring smell of those heavenly cinnamon rolls for only a $1.00. Trapped! I finally find and retrieve the shelving unit and narrowly escape just purchasing the shelf and these awesome curtains on super sale, darn it! haha. Then, time for the journey back home. The only thing is, I can't figure out where the freeway entrance is?? haha. Ahh! I have to call Truman to help me figure it out while I'm being frantic--this isn't the first time Truman's received a phone call like this. Unfortunately, there isn't a GPS navigator in me, and Truman can't magically orient himself to my location. Come on Truman, why not?! haha. I'm already going the wrong way and hello Bangerter Highway. A wrong turn and 20 minutes later, I eventually get back on the freeway thanks to Truman (and yes, in the right direction). I don't think I'll be going up to Salt Lake anytime soon if I can help it.
Here is the shelving unit from IKEA. We assembled it last night (and when I say we I mean Truman, I think I handed him a few things, that counts right?) Amazingly enough, it fits in the space perfectly! This picture makes it look smaller than it really is, it will actually hold quite a lot. I'm going out today to get some basket type things for it. It will be so nice to have some more organization!

2 comments:
getting lost is horrid- it's so frustrating.
but hey- congratulations on passing your exams and being done with the major accomplishment of finishing school! you must be so relieved!
luv,patria
I feel the exact same way about Salt Lake city and Utah freeway entrances and exits. NOT looking forward to that again. BUt, yay, you found your way! Glad you can click your red shoes together by calling Truman and find your way to Home Sweet Home! Thank goodness for brothers and husbands right? I'm right there with ya!
Post a Comment