Friday, April 11, 2008

Last Day of Clinic for 1st Years!!!
Oh Glorious Day! I just completed my first year of hygiene school (not counting summer semester). This was my clinic group, and we were together for every day of clinic. Clinic was 3 days a week & we basically did the works on someone for free! It's quite a nice trade off --they get free x-rays, exam, cleaning, probing, toothbrush, floss, etc. & I get to practice for 3 hours.
They give me time, I give them cleaning haha.
It has been quite the learning experience & I still have so far to go. I didn't think hygiene school would be that hard for me because I had been a dental assistant before, but I was definitely wrong haha. I suppose it's like driving in a way --eventually you get really good at it and you don't have to consciously think to press the gas or breaks, you just do it. I can't wait till probing and scaling teeth, and indirect vision in a mirror is like that haha. We had to have very specific criteria for out patients that we saw in clinic. We were constantly having to pass off proficiencies & stress ourselves and trying to make sure our patients actually showed up, and let's just say --i'm glad it's over! At least for now anyway right? haha. Truman even filled in for one of my patients that cancelled on me last minute. It was fun to clean his teeth, but actually made me a little more nervous because I wanted to do such a great job haha. He was my last patient & his teeth will be all sparkly for the wedding!

No comments: