I am now 37 weeks pregnant, just 3 weeks left to go! Our little girl is much more scrunched now in my belly, so her movements are less frequent but much more noticeable. I had my last day of work about two weeks ago on August 2nd and I cannot tell you how relieved I am to be done! I have had a great pregnancy, no complications, and have felt good throughout.
What I have been dealing with the last 2-3 months is carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) induced by pregnancy. Having a repetitive job like a dental hygienist where I am doing fine tactile movements all day long exacerbated this condition and brought it on probably earlier that it would have otherwise. Even with not working though, the top third of my fingers feels constantly numb at this point. When I was working it was just off/on, but now it feels consistently numb like someone injected some local anesthetic into my fingers. I know I am touching something, but no sensation is there just that prickly feeling when you fall asleep on your hand. I can't squeeze my hand into a fist without pain, I wake up with my fingers down to my forearms numb, and they will also go numb and ache in ordinary activities throughout the day like writing, talking or texting on my phone, making the bed, trying to pinch something between my fingers, etc.
As you can see, I was very grateful to start maternity leave when I did because it was only getting worse the more pregnant I became. My OB said it is extremely common in pregnancy and especially so when you have a job that irritates it. She said that it can take weeks to go away after the baby is born, that hers did not go away for 6 weeks. It will be interesting to see when it resides in my case. Something that is crazy is that in this point in pregnancy, I have 40-50% more blood volume! All the extra fluid and blood is enough pressure to pinch that carpal tunnel nerve in my wrist and cause all these funny side effects.
I was glad I was able to make it all the way to my maternity leave date. Working full-time as a dental hygienist and being pregnant was exhausting. My last day of work was nice and also a little sentimental as I broke down and set up my operatory for the last time in a long time. I felt a sense of relief and joy as I drove home from work for this next wonderful and ever life changing experience I have coming my way.
There are so many things I have been wanting to get ready and my never ending to-do list before this baby girl comes. It has been nice to sleep in a little, relax, put my feet up and take a nap for once during the middle of the day, go to the pool with friends, mother's group activities with my ward, play dates with friends, shopping for clothes and supplies for our baby, researching and purchasing car seats, strollers, swings, gliders, cribs, changing table/dresser, etc. I've been searching for new recipes and cooking at least two new meals a week, baking goodies, I've had more time for my calling and for service. We've taken numerous classes on Infant/Child CPR, Breastfeeding, Basic Baby Care, Labor & Delivery that have been so helpful. I've had two amazing baby showers, organized all her things, we rearranged our furniture to make room, I've reorganized our closets, helped my friend build her business, hair appointment on a week day!, consistent walks every morning, chores done during the week, crafting hair accessories, crafting and gathering things for our baby girl's nursery, and the list goes on!
It has been truly wonderful.
It has been truly wonderful.
Truman & I are getting more anxious and excited everyday. My OB said I am 1cm dilated. It's amazing to think how close it is and in retrospect how quickly it has passed. Truman can't wait to be a Daddy, he can't wait to hold her, kiss her, baths, jammies, etc. I never tire of Truman's excitement for her to come. We have been savoring our last pre-baby dates and been going to lots of movies! Truman asked me last night as we were falling asleep, "Are you happy?" Truman & I sometimes ask each other questions even when we both know the answer, like "You love me?". He has not asked me this before though and I lay there thinking about it. It is not that I was not happy before, I was very happy. This next step in our life is something that I was not ready for for a long time but feel so ready to embrace it now. I am so happy for all the Truman & Amy time. Being married to Truman has been the best thing in my life and I love our lives together. We always talked about the future and this time coming. We are both ready now for this next step and growing our family. I told him, "This is the happiest I've been in a long time", he smiled and we went to sleep.

7 comments:
Awe, Amy! This is so sweet. Truman and you are such a cute couple and you'll do great as parents!
It totally reminded me how my fingers went numb while pregnant with Lev and stayed like that well after delivery. Oh if only we're to list all the sacrifices our bodies go through for these babies!
Aww Amy you two are so cute! I could definately tell that you both were literally GLOWING last time I saw you! Elle is the luckiest little girl! The whole carpal tunnel thing will be well worth it in the end..you are so close! But until then...what a bummer you have to deal with tingly hands and numb fingers! Not fun..especially when you are trying to make cute baby crafts, haha. Enjoy these last couple weeks to yourself ;)
It will be so great Amy! I can't wait to see that little one! Also, do you have the same address? I have something to send you.
love you three!
Jill
Amy, I'm so excited about you. I did full-time hygiene till a week before I was due....crazy! I didn't have carpal tunnel (thank heavens), but my fingers constantly went numb during patients, at night, and when I lifted them up (while doing my hair, etc.). That lasted till at least a month after delivery....but I promise it will go away. Good luck in the coming weeks!!!
We are all counting down with you two.....we can't wait to meet this little one!
Big hugs,
mom
Congrats you two. Savor every moment because I hear they grow up too fast.
Amy,
Motherhood is an adventure. God knew what he was doing when he made babies adorable because sometimes it can be a challenge. You and Truman seem so well prepared! Can't wait to see pictures of your new little bundle of joy!
Post a Comment