Sunday, June 21, 2009

Provo Triathlon

Well I did it! I finally accomplished my goal of participating in a triathlon! Triathlons have always seemed interesting to me, but around March I got excited about doing one. Luckily, my oldest brother Ben sent me out his road bike since he will be in Germany the next 3 years and will not have need for it. My parents packed it up for me and shipped it out to Provo. It has been a blast riding all around Provo which I classify as my attempt to train for the 13 mile portion of the biking. Let's just say June 20th came very quickly and if the registration fee was non-refundable then I probably would have gotten cold feet. The race was at Utah state park in Provo, connecting to Utah lake. We arrived at 5:45 to check in and get marked. They put your number on your shouulders and then your race on the left calf and your age on the right calf. They also issue you a anklet with a microchip in it that times your events and transitions. Then you have to go claim a transition spot where you change from swim to bike gear and then bike to running.

The swim was what I was most nervouse about because I had trainned when school was in because I had access to the lap pool, but when school ended so did my trainning. The water was pretty cold especially at 7 am so I had to invest in a full body wetsuit, the swim cap came free from one of the sponsors ( I know I look like a girl when wearing the swim cap but it did keep my ears warm). The swim was just 1/2 mile but lets just say it kicked my trash and I'm glad I didn't sink to the bottom.
After the swim I was like "well that was a good workout I think I should stop for the day" but I was far from being done. I jogged to the transition spot, peeled off my wetsuit and put on my biking shoes, hoppped on the donated bike and started the funnest part of the race.

After the bike was the run, usually 3 miles is not very hard but after biking my legs were feeling pretty heavy. I ended up pulling up my ranking the most during the running portion.




My total time for 1/2 Mile swim, 13 miles on the bike and just over 3 miles running, with transitions was 1 hour 40 minutes and 4 seconds. Aftter the race I was pretty beat and Amy was there to get me water and fruit as I walked around in a daze. Amy was definatly my most excited fan (well my only fan at that). The traithlon was a blast and I definatly look foward to doind more in the future.


5 comments:

Yulia said...

Dang Truman, you DO look like a woman that swimming gear. Must be the Weston eyelashes. Congrats on your accomplishment. Very impressive! And that was only your first one.

Joe said...

Way to go boy. I was hoping you would have written DBG on the back of your legs.

Truman & Amy said...

I'm so proud of you Truman!!! It was so fun getting to watch! Loves!

~Amy ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I need to sit down and rest just reading about what you did! Congrats on a HUGE accomplishment!!! Your dad is looking forward to participating in one with you when you come home to Cali. I will be happy to be the cheering section!!!
big hugs,
mom

Patria said...

Um, that sounds pretty weak sauce to me. ha! kidding. you rocked it. first weston to do a triathalon. maybe you can come to hawaii next year and do the iron man. mark and i will fly out to the big island to cheer you on! we'll give a call soon so we can chat more about this provo triathalon! luv, patria and mark