Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Moo Moo! She's 2! (Elle's Fancy Cowgirl Cake)

Elle's 2-Year Old Birthday Party!

This year I decided to do a Cowgirl Party! Emphasis on the "cow" and add some red and I went crazy! Do you know just how much cow print stuff there is out there?! It's scary. I had to restrain myself big time...

I'm won't lie, this party was a lot of work, but oh sooo fun! I found myself giddy at times :)

Made this with a canvas, cow print fabric, tissue paper and a hot glue gun in 10 minutes! Ez-Pz

Truman cut an old fence post for me and attached them. Then I watered down some old white paint from the garage with water and brushed it on real quick. I then used my trusty hot glue gun to write her name in cursive with rope. 


To be honest, I wasn't even sure if I was going to do a big party for Elle this year. Life can be overwhelming and I had about 7 other projects in the queue. But... when I thought up the cowgirl theme with cow print and red and started to brain storm cake ideas --I was sold!

I saw many cakes online and took a lot of inspiration from different people. I loved the look of the top and bottom tier being the same. I made a rope out of fondant for the base of each cake and made a set of red boots to be my cake topper and candles. 

These were a fun part of the cake that I proudly came up with on my own. I tried to make boots that looked similar to Elle's with the stars on them. I made rice crispys, shaped them into boots, then carved them further, then covered in chocolate candy melts to smooth out the rice crispys. Then I covered in red fondant, used a stitching tool along the bottom, sides, and top, then I piped some black, and added a few white dragees. To top if off I made stars and spurs and covered with edible gold metallic shimmer dust. Before the party, I drilled holes into the top and put a candle in each. 
Two boots, two candles, for two years old!




Top tier

Middle tier
-This design was tricky! I bought a cake decorating class that teaches you how to do some stenciling techniques but doing it on a round cake was hard! There's lots of imperfections but I am happy with how it turned out! I painted over the white paisley's with black dye to make them stand out more.- 

Bottom tier
-I did a little rope knot for the bottom tier just off center to the left and "frayed" the little ends to make it look more realistic.-



This was my first go around at cake pops! They are certainly not perfect, I actually had 5 bite the dust. When I saw something like this on Pinterest and I had left over cake and frosting and white chocolate --I knew I was doomed! I love the little red ribbons around the neck. I made up a batch of royal icing to pipe the cow print on so that it would harden and keep its shape. 

 I bought red paisley goody bags and filled them with red and white swirl dinner mints and York Peppermint Patties to go along with the theme. I tied them with a ribbon and attached a sheriff's badge to each. 

There were so many different types of plates to choose from but I loved these red and white gingham bordered ones. Who wouldn't want to drink out of one of these cow print cups?? :)

Love this paisley bunting flag


Side views of cake


Moo Moo Moo!

Oh how I love red forks and little swirly straws!

I love the vibrant contrast of the red balloons against the cow print balloons

I think this has been my favorite cake to make yet. I can't say that I'm getting any faster but I am learning a ton and I love the finished product!

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Amy! It's Tiffany's friend, Meagan, that went to Apple hill with you yesterday! I saw on fb you had an Instagram account and saw on Instagram you have a blog. You made that cake?!!!! That's amazing!!!